Saturday, November 16, 2013

Hey man, it's art

Every object I collect depicts a part of my life; it seems that everything has a story.  Each collected item represents a part of the good and the bad times of my life.  It is a good thing that the majority of my life could be seen on the better part of a scale.  I collect because I feel that it is a necessity to reminiscence on the past.  We cannot forget where we came from it makes every human on this planet unique.
   I collect objects such a guitar picks and receipts.  These two inanimate objects just show the things I like to do.  Music is a major part of my life, therefore I collect every guitar pick I have ever played with.  Receipts clutter my room to show that I am a shopper.  Possibly not a savvy shopper, but an interesting shopper. 

Collective artist like Joesph Cornell and Song Dong each collect to tell a story.  Both of these artist place seemingly random objects together to make this story, page by page.  Their work is considered "art" because it is the product of their creative minds.  Everything they create is artistic.  Art can only be defined by oneself and how they see certain objects.  Cornell is know for his box art where he place objects in a small box.  The box tells a unique story.  Dong it seems collects objects that are identical in use in society, such as liquid containers. 


Another more famous artist is Andy Warhol.  While researching him on his online museum I became aware that he collected objects and store them away in "time capsules".  A few objects from his own time capsule are a copy of Life magazine, an edition of "Dick Tracy", and a copy of the Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers. These objects reveal the creative mind of Andy Warhol.  This time capsule shows the simple things that made Warhol unique.  Only the person who put the objects in the box can explain why they did and likewise only the person viewing the box can infer why things are put in the box.

Art is life, it is beautiful
J Edwards signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment